New Achievements of Chemical Industry: “Rizol” - Foamed Polyethylene (Foamed PE as a Heat Retaining Material)
Due to good heat thermoplastic and technical characteristics, foamed polymers are in a strong position among thermoplastic materials used for heat insulation.
Foamed PE is one of such special materials that stand apart. «Rizol» is produced in the form of tubes and rolls, or possibly in a different form. The tubes (profiles) have a wall thickness of 5 and 10mm and an inner diameter of б to 160mm.
The produced rolls of material have a 1.1m width (or possibly greater width if smaller thicknesses) and a 0.5 to 30mm thickness (or possibly higher thickness in the form of sheets).
«Rizol» (known in Russia as “Energoflex” ) has been tested in the Republican Centre for Research and Regulation in Constructions “ Cercon”- Chisinau, Moldova; National Research Institute “Incerc”under Academy of Sciences – Bucharest, Romania; Scientific Research Institute “Mosstroi”- Moscow, Russia, etc. and is allowed to be used in the areas mentioned below.
Based on data of the Scientific Research Institute “Mosstroi” (the published Report on Use of Foamed Polyethylene of 01.11.2001), “Rizol , known under such name in Moldova and Romania (known as Energoflex in Russia) is one of the most effective material for heat insulation.
The material has a certificate of fire safety, environmental and hygiene certificates. Based on these certificates, the foamed PE may be used both inside and outside without restrictions. The material has the following characteristics, pursuant to certificates and standards:
1. Hygienic, environmentally friendly and safe for health.
2. Excellent heat retaining features (0.024 – 0.033 W/m С) at temperatures of -80° to +115 С, a warm touch feeling.
3. Waterproofing, not absorbing and allowing the ingress of water.
4. Anti-condensation properties, protection against vapours and moisture, preventing the formation of condensation, corrosion and mold.
5. High wear resistance, high elasticity and durability.
6. Perfect insulator against vibrations
7. Low flammability; it does not maintain the combustion and it does not exhaust toxic gases.
8. It is an antistatic
9. Excellent sound protection features, considerably reducing the noise level inside the room.
10. Low cost and minor time for its placement
11. Certified in Moldova Republic, Agreement 03/05/2000. 12. Possible production of non-flammable material, adding flame retardants.
13. Its lifetime is the same as the lifetime of a building (50-100 years).
1. Recycled PE films
2. Recycled PE sheets
3. Films and sheets reinforced with foil.
4. Hoses for pipe insulation
5. Hoses reinforced with foil.
Sound Protection Houses, Cabins, Studios etc.
It reduces the noise up to 68%, dependant on its thickness
According to test results performed by Russian manufacturers, as well as by Scientific Research Institute “Mosstroi”, the foamed PE may replace the following:
1cm of PE=5-6cm of foamed chemical PE=11cm o foamed plastics (Styrofoam) = 20cm mineral wool sheets = 160cm of bricks=220cm of concrete.
Based on our calculations:
1cm of foamed PE=6cm of foamed plastics (Styrofoam) =14cm of mineral wool=18cm of expanded clay aggregates=14 cm of boards=40cm of stone blocks=80cm of concrete
Based on data provided by manufacturers from Izhevsk, Russia, producing foamed PE:
1cm of foamed PE=5-15cm of wood (dependant on its type) =25cm of bricks=29cm of expanded clay aggregates=64-79cm of concrete